Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my old blog. Find my new blog!

Saturday, November 13, 2010

what got done?

Hi,

I had an idea to write on and then something happened and now I am writing this. :) How many of us try writing lists only to get frustrated with what we didn't get done on the list? I am not here to tell you to not write lists, they can be very helpful. Some people thrive on them. So then what am I bringing these lists up for?

It's more on forward thinking really. When we look at the list we only see a part of the picture and too often we are not seeing on the bright side of the circle. When you look at your list I'm going to guess that you tend to see what isn't checked off. How about spending some time looking at what is checked off! What about those things you did that weren't on your list?

My suggestion is a lot like keeping a gratitude journal. Write down the things you got done. Woohoo I got three things on my list done! A long with that I did this and this that and they weren't on the list! Spend time with yourself at the end of each day recognizing all the great things that happened.

So far today here is my list, which I share to make a point. I dyed my hair, and while it was on my head I took that time to start cleaning the laundry room so my mom could empty her storage unit. I also started sorting my baskets of clothes that need packing away into piles by size. Kids are gone this weekend so it's ok if the piles get left for a few hours. Then my son woke up after a short nap and he was crying and his arms were freezing. I held him in a blanket and he went back to sleep. He needed more sleep so I enjoyed holding him and lucky for me some books were within arms reach so I read too. When I send this it will be on my got done list too. There are other things like changing diapers and some other reading that I can think of.

My point was about my son. So often I get caught up in the idea of my doings needing to look a certain way. Getting the house in order is important but my baby is only young once. I need to give myself credit for times like holding him and times I play with my kids. How neat it would be for my kids if every night I had on my list that I had spent some time with my kids.

Let's start giving ourselves credit for what we do. We can't get more done than we did by beating ourselves up while looking back. If we can see we didn't do much with our day then acknowledge those little things (heck some days it's just enough to give credit for getting out of bed!) Then put your effort into have a good now.

Hugs!

Michele

1 comment: