Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my old blog. Find my new blog!

Saturday, November 6, 2010

November ideas and kids

Hi there again :)

Today we had a lot of fun and it worked! We made "Indian" hats. We also had a discussion about Native American vs. Indian and how I know a lot of Native American's, shock to my 7 yo that I even went to high school with a whole school full. lol Our feathers were to be worn while we cleaned. The biggest thing I think happened is that the kids had some fun so they were happy and more willing to do their part to keep the house clean.

So this letter is kind of two subjects. The first part is some of the ideas I've had to make November different. So we made our feathers and we are probably going to do some other pilgrim type things later in the month. Another idea I have is a little harder for my younger ones to grasp. My kindergartener and 2nd grader should catch on real well and if the senior doesn't, then give him about 7 years and he'll get it. That is the attitude of gratitude. This is one area that it is ok to compare. We are going to compare what we have now that the pilgrims didn't have. Running water, electricity, etc. It is a great time to remember to be thankful as we have a perfect reminder. For schedules you can draw a hand turkey on a sheet and put the chores on the feathers, or use your own creativity!!!

The second part is about getting the children to help. This is the huge thing I have learned with my kids. The happier our relationship the more willing to help they are. They need my time, my service, my positive words (no nagging as that slows the process!), my hugs and my "gift" or rather their allowance. Each child responds to a different thing. One of mine really responds negatively to words. Others respond more than others to time with them. Some respond better to allowances. It is really important to create a love relationship with the kids and remember they are individuals and won't necessary respond to what you would have if you were a kid.

Hugs,
Michele

2 comments:

  1. Here's a lil crazy story, it might not totally relate but had to share. My niece went to North Carolina this past summer for teen boot camp (she has an interest in military). Anywho, she was asked if she lived in a teepee and wore bucksin...lol. Really? I can't beleive peeps still think we dress with feathers and say "how". It was just funny to hear.

    ReplyDelete